Is there anything better. . .
. . . than luscious spice cake. . .
. . . with cream cheese frosting. . .
. . . and marzipan leaves?. . .
. . . we think not.
Autumn Leaf Cake
Recipe adapted from here
- 2 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 packed tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs + one more egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 12 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- One 7oz tube Marzipan
- Nutmeg for dusting
Preheat oven to 350.
In one bowl whisk together all of the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl cream the butter and the sugar, then add in the eggs, vanilla and ground ginger.
Alternating between the milk and the dry ingredients, slowly incorporate both into the butter/sugar/egg mixture.
Pour into a 13" x 9" prepared cake pan and bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. About 40 minutes.
To make the frosting, whip the cream cheese, milk and 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar together.
Roll out marzipan into a 1/8" thickness. Cut out leaf shapes with a cookie cutter or freehand with a knife. Set aside.
Allow the cake to cool before frosting. You could make one single layer cake or two small double layer cakes (as shown above). Frost the cake and decorate with the marzipan leaves making sure to dust with a bit of nutmeg before serving.
*Last time in Recipes: Deconstructed Pot Pie