Last week we talked about the beauty and structure of bare trees. This week, we're appreciating the other lovely thing you can see when there are no leaves: birds!
And what better way to appreciate something than to learn more about it. . .
. . . while playing a fun game that. . .
. . . will help you identify. . .
. . . all of your favorite. . .
. . . feathered friends. Won't you come and play too?
DIY Bird Land Board Game
- Cloth Game board from our DIY Math Game Tutorial
- Game Pieces from our DIY Math Game Tutorial
- Card Stock
- Pencils or Markers (Markers smudge less over time)
- Dice (we borrowed ours from this lovely kit)
- Birding Guides (like this one)
Here at Imagine Childhood, we love it when toys and activities have multiple uses and that goes for our blog posts too! A while back we made a fun math game with a cloth game board, and this week as we were seeing lot of sweet little birdies in the winter trees, we just had to make it into an ornithology game as well. One board two games, and I think, many more to come!
If you haven't made our Math Game board, pop over to that post for the directions. When you have your board and game pieces, cut sheets of card stock into 3"x2" pieces approximately. About the size of a business card. You can make larger cards if you'd like more space for drawing and writing. If you don't want to cut anything at all, you could even go for extra large cards and use 3" x 5" index cards.
Once you have your cards ready, grab your favorite birding book, or check out this wonderful resource for bird silhouettes and start drawing them out on the cards. On separate cards write facts about the various birds with the name of the bird on the reverse side. Make sure to put the name of the bird on the reverse side of the silhouette cards too.
When your card stack is complete - make as many as you like and keep adding new ones each time you play to allow the game to evolve with your little learners - play the game together.
How to Play
- Ask each participant to select a game piece.
- Draw straws or pick names out of a bag to see who goes first.
- During their turn, the player will roll the dice and pick a card. The dice will show the number of places the player will move forward. If they answer the card correctly they get points 2 points for silhouette cards and 4 points for information cards.
- If a player lands on a space with an arrow they automatically go up or down the board in the direction of the arrow.
- Continue playing until the first player makes it to the end of the path.
- Count up all of the cards each player won over the course of the game and find out who won that round based on the points collected!
With the Kids: